Monday 21 April 2014

Easter Egg Nest Cakes

When I mentioned to my eldest that I was going to make some cakes she was all too keen to come and help out. Her little Brother (and Daddy) was enjoying a nap after a busy Easter weekend so it gave us the perfect opportunity to have some Mummy-Daughter time, something I struggle to fit in as much as I would like to.

We had a think about what sort of Easter cakes we would like to make and eventually settled on decorated cupcakes. My little helper made the cakes all by herself (with just the minimal amount of stirring assistance from me) and then spooned them into her chosen cupcakes cases. We used 100g caster sugar, 100g butter, 100g self-raising flour, 2 eggs, ¼ tsp baking powder and ½ tsp vanilla extract to create our cupcakes.


Whilst the cakes were busy baking in the oven we enjoyed some Easter chocolates and set about creating our nests, which were going to sit on the top of our cakes. We'd found some super sweet, teeny-tiny eggs whilst shopping a few days before and thought they would be perfect. We broke up a small Easter egg to create the nests and stuck 3 mini-eggs onto each piece using an icing pen (easier for little hands, but a bit of royal icing would do the job just as well).


Once the cakes had finished cooking and were suitably cooled, we mixed up some butter-cream and added some green food colouring to it. I piped the green butter-cream using a hair/grass/fur nozzle (see above) to create a grassy effect on our cupcakes and we then placed our little nests in the 'fields.'


As my Daughter was making these cakes for herself and I to enjoy we included some chocolate (something we usually avoid in baking due to my youngest's dairy intolerance). If we had been making these with him we could have used twisted liquorice laces to create a nest (an idea I picked up from Center Parcs helpful tips for making Easter Nests) and used mini marshmallows instead of chocolate eggs.


This is my entry to the Center Parcs and Tots 100 April challenge. If I'm chosen, I would like to visit Elveden Forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment